Garnett-Powers & Associates is pleased to offer the UC Postdoctoral Scholar Benefit Plan.
This comprehensive program is comprised of the following plans and insurance carriers:
- Medical: Health Net HMO or PPO
- Dental: Health Net DHMO or Principal Point of Service
- Vision: Health Net PPO
- Life: The Standard Insurance (Eligible Postdocs will be automatically enrolled)
- AD&D: The Standard Insurance (Eligible Postdocs will be automatically enrolled)
- Short-Term Disability: The Standard Insurance (Eligible Postdocs will be automatically enrolled)
- Voluntary Supplemental Life and AD&D: The Standard Insurance
- Voluntary Long-Term Disability Insurance: The Standard Insurance
In addition, Eligible Postdocs will have access to the following services:
- Wellness Programs
- MedEx Travel Assist Program
- Child and Home Care Providers
- Mental Health Benefits
As a new postdoc appointed in any of the postdoc title codes of 3252, 3253 or 3254, you have 31 days from your date of appointment to enroll yourself and your eligible dependents.
Family member eligibility requirements are the same as the family member eligibility requirements for the University of California Faculty and Staff plans. The major family member eligibility categories are the following:
- Natural or adopted child or children to age 26 for medical plans (unless eligible to continue coverage because of disability). Adult age children are not eligible to enroll if they are eligible for their own employer-sponsored plan.
- Same-sex domestic partner
- Opposite-sex domestic partner (per AB205)
Note: When two family members are employed through the UC, duplicate coverage is not allowed.
Your eligible family members must be enrolled with the same coverage start date as you, which is the date of appointment. However, you may enroll eligible family members at a later time due to a qualifying event as listed in the section below.
Failure to enroll yourself, or enroll your dependents, within this time frame could result in a significant delay in access to coverage, or the inability to enroll yourself and/or your dependents until the next Open Enrollment period.
Currently Enrolled? Postdocs Needing to Enroll a Dependent (Qualifying Events):
If you are currently enrolled, you may be able to enroll a newly eligible family member(s) if you experience one of the following qualifying life events:
- Domestic partnership
- Family member(s) arrival in the U.S.
Information for J-1 and J-2 Visa Holders
All Postdoctoral Scholars in job codes 3252 (Postdoctoral Scholar - employee), 3253 (Postdoctoral Scholar - fellow), and 3254 (Postdoctoral Scholar - direct paid) and their dependents are automatically covered for medical evacuation and repatriation benefits necessary to satisfy the J Visa Program.