Garnett-Powers & Associates will be closing at 11:00 AM, Friday December 14, 2018 for our Holiday Luncheon.
Waiving Out of the Visiting Scholar Benefit Plan
In order to waive out of purchasing a health insurance plan under the umbrella of the UC San Diego Visiting Scholar Benefit Plan, you must provide proof of insurance coverage that meets the University’s requirements.
UCSD’s requirements for minimum levels of health insurance coverage are:
- $100,000 USD per accident & illness in medical coverage
- Deductible cannot exceed $500 per accident or illness
- Coinsurance cannot exceed 25%
- Medical evacuation coverage must be at least $50,000 USD
- Repatriation coverage must be at least $25,000 USD
- Pre-existing conditions must be a covered benefit. The waiting period for benefit coverage cannot exceed 12 months. Please note: Policy’s with coverage for only “Acute onset of pre-existing conditions” do not meet this requirement.
- Carrier must be at least A- rated or backed by the full faith and credit of the Exchange Visitor's government
U.S. Citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents: Maybe subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
If you have purchased insurance from a U.S. healthcare insurance carrier, you may submit a waiver request to opt out of the UCSD Visiting Scholar Benefit Plan.
All Visiting Scholars: If you have dependents accompanying you to the U.S. (i.e. spouse, domestic partner, child(ren)). You must purchase insurance that meets the U.S. State Department requirements for your dependents.
If you have insurance from your home country or purchased insurance that meets the above requirements, you may submit a waiver request to opt out of the UC San Diego Visiting Scholar Benefit Plan.