Waiving Out of the Visiting Scholar Benefit Plan
In order to waive out of purchasing a health insurance plan under the umbrella of the UCB Visiting Scholar Benefit Plan, you must provide proof of insurance coverage that meets the University’s requirements.
Please note: U.S. Citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents are not subject to UCB’s health insurance requirements listed below and do not need to provide Garnett-Powers & Associates (GPA) proof of health insurance coverage.
UCB’s requirements for minimum levels of health insurance coverage are:
- $100,000 USD per accident & illness in medical coverage
- Deductible cannot exceed $500 per accident or illness
- Coinsurance cannot exceed 25%
- Medical evacuation coverage must be at least $50,000 USD
- Repatriation coverage must be at least $25,000 USD
- Pre-existing conditions must be a covered benefit. The waiting period for benefit coverage cannot exceed 12 months. Please note: Policy’s with coverage for only “Acute onset of pre-existing conditions” do not meet this requirement.
- Carrier must be at least A- rated or backed by the full faith and credit of the Exchange Visitor's government
International Visiting Scholars: If you have dependents accompanying you to the U.S. (i.e. spouse, domestic partner, child(ren)). You must purchase insurance that meets the U.S. State Department requirements for your dependents.
If you have insurance from your home country or purchased insurance that meets the above requirements, you may submit a waiver request to opt out of the UCB Visiting Scholar Benefit Plan.