Garnett-Powers & Associates is pleased to offer the University of Rochester Postdoctoral Scholar Benefit Program.
This comprehensive program is comprised of the following plans and insurance carriers:
- Medical: Aetna POS
- Dental: MetLife
- Voluntary Vision: Aetna PPO
Postdocs with the following title codes are eligible to particiapte in the University of Rochester Postodoctral Benefit Program:
- 093 - Postdoctoral Associate
- 094 - Visiting Postdoctoral Fellow
- 095 - Postdoctoral Fellow
Eligible postdocs have 30 days from their appointment start date to enroll yourself and your eligible dependents (family members). This timeframe if known as your Period of Initial Eligibility (PIE).
Family member eligibility requirements are the same as the family member eligibility requirements for the University of Rochester Faculty and Staff plans. The major family member eligibility categories are the following:
- Your current spouse, if your marriage was valid in the state or country where it was performed (and for purposes of paying pre-tax premiums under the Cafeteria Plan if the marriage is also recognized by state law for tax purposes in the state where you reside)
- Your domestic partner (opposite sex or same sex)*
- Your domestic partner’s children
- Your children up through the end of the month in which they turn 26, regardless of access to other health care coverage through their own or a spouse’s employment, marital status, or student status
- Your children who are handicapped prior to age 26 and are dependent on you for support. Your children include:
- Biological children
- Legally adopted children
- Stepchildren and children who are placed with you by an authorized placement agency or by judgement, decree or other order of any court of competent jurisdiction
For those wishing to enroll their opposite-sex or same-sex domestic partner, you will need to complete the following form:
Once the form is completed and signed, please scan and email the PDF copy to Garnett-Powers(GPA) at: email@example.com. Once GPA receives the document, we will proceed with your enrollment into the plans.
Please note: Eligible Postdocs who wish to enroll their eligible family members must do so during their PIE period. The Postdocs and their family members must be enrolled together. Failure to enroll yourself, or enroll your dependents within the PIE period could result in a significant delay in access to coverage, or the inability to enroll yourself and / or your dependents until the next open Enrollment Period. However, you may enroll eligible family members at a later time due to a qualifying event as listed in the section below.
CURRENTLY ENROLLED? POSTDOCS NEEDING TO ENROLL A DEPENDENT (QUALIFYING EVENTS):
If you are currently enrolled, you may be able to enroll a newly eligible family member(s) if you experience one of the following qualifying life events
- Legal Marriage/Domestic Partnership
- Legal Separation or Divorce
- Termination of Domestic Partnership
- Family member(s) arrival in the U.S.
- Birth of a Child
- Dependent loses coverage
- Loss of Eligibility of Medicaid/Medicare
- Approved Leave
- Return from Leave
- Placement for Adoption
You have 30 days from the date of the qualifying life event to enroll your eligible family member(s) by submitting an enrollment form on this site.
Open Enrollment is an annual period of time designated by your employer, the University of Rochester, to allow you to make changes to your current enrollment that are otherwise not allowed throughout the rest of the year, unless you experience a qualifying life event. For instance, if you previously waived coverage for yourself and/or any eligible family members, during the designated open enrollment period, you may enroll both yourself and your dependents if you so desire in the available plan choices. For any plans in which you enroll, coverage always begins on January 1st of the following year. The annual open enrollment period is usually communicated during the month of September and normally takes place during October and/or November.