Due to the COVID-19 impact, our staff is working remotely. Response and processing times may be longer than usual. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Gallagher Benefit Services is pleased to offer the UPenn J Visa Scholar Benefit Plan.
This comprehensive program is comprised of the following plans and insurance carriers:
- IMG Basic PPO
- IMG Standard PPO
- IMG Platinum PPO
As a newly appointed Visiting Scholar/Researcher, you are required to be enrolled in an insurance plan that meets the Department of State J-1 Visa requirements beginning the first day of your appointment.
Please submit your enrollment, or waiver if you have alternate coverage, at your earliest convenience to avoid being marked as out of compliance with the University and Department of State.
J Visa Scholars
Have the option to enroll in IMG Basic, IMG Standard Plan or IMG Platinum Plan.
J Visa Scholars have the option to enroll in the Dental Plan that offers a breadth of coverage through a PPO model.
J Visa Scholars are subject to the U.S. State Department J-1 Visa requirements and any additional requirements imposed by the University.
Information For all J Visa Scholars
All J Visa Scholars must meet the insurance policy requirements listed below:
- $100,000 per accident & illness in medical coverage
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
- Coinsurance that does not exceed 25%
- Medical evacuation coverage must be at least $50,000
- Repatriation coverage must be at least $25,000
- Carrier must be at least A- rated or backed by the full faith and credit of the Exchange Visitor's government
- For scholars residing in the United States for more than 12 months, pre-existing conditions must be a covered benefit, with the waiting period for coverage no more than 12 months. If the insurance policy has the pre-existing conditions benefit as a set amount, benefit coverage must be the same as illness coverage.
Currently enrolled? need to enroll a dependent (qualifying events):
If you are currently enrolled, you may be able to enroll a newly eligible family member(s) if you experience one of the following qualifying life events:
- Domestic partnership
- Family member(s) arrival in the US