Due to the COVID-19 impact, our staff is working remotely. Response and processing times may be longer than usual. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
Waiving Out of the J Visa Scholar Benefit Plan
In order to waive out of purchasing a health insurance plan under the umbrella of the UPenn J Visa Scholar Benefit Plan, you must provide proof of insurance coverage that meets the University’s requirements.
UPenn’s requirements for minimum levels of health insurance coverage are:
- $100,000 USD per accident & illness in medical coverage
- Deductible cannot exceed $500 per accident or illness
- Coinsurance cannot exceed 25%
- Medical evacuation coverage must be at least $50,000 USD
- Repatriation coverage must be at least $25,000 USD
- Carrier must be at least A- rated or backed by the full faith and credit of the Exchange Visitor's government
- For scholars residing in the United States for more than 12 months, pre-existing conditions must be a covered benefit, with the waiting period for coverage no more than 12 months. If the insurance policy has the pre-existing conditions benefit as a set amount, benefit coverage must be the same as illness coverage.
All J Visa Scholars: If you have dependents accompanying you to the U.S. (i.e. spouse, domestic partner, child(ren)). You must purchase insurance that meets the U.S. State Department requirements for your dependents.
If you have insurance from your home country or purchased insurance that meets the above requirements, you may submit a waiver request to opt out of the UPenn J Visa Scholar Benefit Plan.